Thursday, May 10, 2007

Gay Parents: What Stephen Harper Tried to Hide













Of all the things the religious hatemongers say and do in their insane and unrelenting war on gay people, one of the most disgusting is the way they attack gay parents...and their children.

These crazy wingnuts are always spewing filth about how gay men and lesbians shouldn't be allowed to raise children, because they're evil people, and it's bad for the kids.

So I was really happy to see a Canadian report say exactly the opposite.

A study prepared for the Canadian government shows children do as well, perhaps better, when reared by same-sex parents as they do by opposite-sex couples.

Which of course is no surprise to anyone who actually knows gay and straight parents. And knows that it doesn't matter what your sexual orientation is, it's how much you care for and love your children that counts. Duh?
















But of course it's not what the secret religious fanatic Stephen Harper wants you to believe. So the SoCon in Chief and his homophobic henchmen tried to BURY the report....

The study only came to light when Hastings used freedom of information laws to obtain a copy which he provided to the Canwest News Service.

And then pretended it didn't exist....

Last December a motion to reopen the gay marriage issue was defeated by Parliament. During the debate no mention was made of the study, by Prof. Paul Hastings at Concordia University, but Harper's Tories cited a French study that said same-sex parenting was not in the best interests of children

Can you believe it? Citing a FRENCH report instead of a CANADIAN one paid for by taxpayers. Even Citoyen Dion wouldn't do that ...

A French report that bases its objections on the problems it would cause with the Civil Code. Instead of a Canadian one that looks at how the kids are actually doing. How low can this despicable Harper government go?

But then what can you say about a government that would put crazy religion before the interests of children? Just like the right-wing religious fanatics in the United States do.

Except that it's not surprising.

This isn't a government....it's more like a conspiracy, Harper's ReformCons are crawling with religious fanatics who inhabit the same swamp as the freaky wingnut hordes, who are preparing for this weekend's Bigot Fest in Poland.

Where the word FAMILY is just a code word for HATE.

It's a jamboree for people who very often find themselves outside the mainstream. They're living the fantasy for a couple of days of what the world would be like if their ideas prevailed.

But of course, they may prevail in Poland that backward outhouse of anti-semitism and homophobia....but they won't prevail here. All that deranged and evil nonsense will eventually founder on the power of love.











Gay men and lesbians will continue to raise, care, worry about, and love their children. Just like straight parents do.

And as for the kids, they'll continue to love their mom and their dad, their two moms or their two dads...or their single ones ....except when they're grounded or forced to stay in and do their homework or clean up their room....

And be proud of them too....whoever they are.

If you don't believe me... ask this dutch boy about his two dads. I think I played the video once before. But after that great report card on gay parents. I think the kid deserves an encore....




See what I mean? Tolerance, diversity, family. unconditional love.

All the hatred in the world doesn't stand a chance against that. Stephen Harper and his Socons can try to bury the truth.

But sooner or later it will bury THEM.

Just like we will...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be interested to hear "Lifesite's" comments on the truth and how they would spin the report, liberal bias maybe? The Harperites would never refer to the truth if it does not fit the hateful little fantasy world that religious fundamentalists live in. Apparently, they cannot exist without someone to hate. I have yet to see anything that they say or publish that actually says anything about pro-family...it's all really a smokescreen for anti-gay. When is the election?

Pissed OFF Housewife said...

Something to ponder.

Gay parents never have children accidentally.

JJ said...

Waterboy, you need wait no longer! They've already got some wingnut group or other "refuting" the study. A bunch of bishops -- yeah, they're real experts on conducting sociological studies. Gawd, what a bunch of tools!!! (Can you tell I'm pissed off today?)

Unknown said...

interesting to look at. its easy to tell that many of these couples are just as loving as straight couples. never really looked at something like this before...

felicitatum said...

Just count the days . . . . to a massive landslide victory for the Liberals, and sanity in our lives again with Ignatieff.

I can't wait. I've never detested a politician as I do Harper.

I'm straight. I've always known that it's perfect sense for kids to be raised by gay parents. Duh.

Simon said...

Hi Susan....yes you're right. Getting rid of Harper is all that counts. Because just like you I've never detested a politician as much as I do Harper.

It's so horrible it's like our beautiful country has been invaded by aliens from outer space.

I'm keeping the latest polls under my pillow to keep me warm at night... :)

Anonymous said...

I am a Gay man who is married to a wonderful man. I have 4 children, 2 of whom are grown up and on their own and two who I have custody of and am raising with my husband. I agree with most of your article but was offended by one part.
I am also Polish and proud of it. There are also many Polish Gay People. You generalized about Poland and Polish society, in your negative comments. As somone Polish and Gay I sort of take offence to that. I would appreciate if you could add that not all Poles are anti gay ore backward.

Simon said...

Hi anonymous...yes you're right I did generalize. Poland is a very homophobic country and I was angry when I read about what was happening. But that's no excuse, I was wrong to generalize and I apologize. I should just add that I have a lot of respect for the Polish people. My grandfather flew with them during the Second World War, and I admire your rich culture and history...AND your excellent cuisine :)
And now that I know that gay people can live happy lives there I like it even better...
All the best to you and your family...