Sunday, November 29, 2009

Stephen Harper and the Warrior Nation

I have no idea why Stephen Harper is such a classless lout.

"Let me just say this: living as we do, in a time when some in the political arena do not hesitate before throwing the most serious of allegations at our men and women in uniform, based on the most flimsy of evidence, remember that Canadians from coast to coast to coast are proud of you and stand behind you, and I am proud of you, and I stand beside you."

Only his psychiatrist can answer that one.

What I do know is that our troops are NOT responsible for the torture and rape scandal. Only Harper is suggesting they are, so he can try to conceal his role in this sinister cover-up.

And that by smearing the opposition, like he tried to smear Richard Colvin, he has once again demonstrated why he is unfit to be Prime Minister.

But then he is an apostle of the Neo Con Philosopher God Leo Strauss. Who believed in the concept of the so-called "noble lie."The right of a small Con elite to lie to the masses. For THEIR good.

And what worries me is that the fascist nutbar Strauss also said it was necessary to replace a "deadly truth" with a "life giving delusion". By fabricating a new national myth...to keep those masses happy and ignorant.

Which sounds awfully familiar.

Historians and sociologists agree that there has been a profound cultural shift, that Canadians now have reimagined themselves as a military nation, lauding their army, navy and air force as never before in the country's history. The question is, how did we get here?

At the heart of the change, says Frank Graves, president of the Ottawa-based social research firm EKOS, is the continued stranglehold that the baby boomers have on Canadian society. As the boomers now age in large numbers, Mr. Graves says, they're growing more conservative and trading in their one-time open cosmopolitanism for visions of a darker world and the need for a more secure society...


Which is unfortunate because there are more and more aging boomers, and a Warrior Nation won't make us safer, only more Amerikan. Wherever their warriors go torture is sure to follow.

And when Stephen Harper started posing as a warrior...















We should have known that might lead us to a very DARK place.

But who knew it would force us ALL to decide what kind of country we really are?

A country that didn't mind if people were tortured in its name would yawn and go back to business as usual.

But a country that did view torture as a crime and abomination would not accept government stonewalling.


For the sake of our troops who have been smeared by Harper and his thugs. For the sake of our democracy. For the sake of our country which needs a jingo bingo Warrior Nation like it needs a hole in the head.


We need a full public inquiry and we need it NOW...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I'm the last of the boomers, and where the heck are the 18 to 30 year olds? Jeez, I used to be marching for something or other at least once a month. What, are we all just blogging, or what does it take to get some actual demonstrations going in this country? Your turn under 30's. I mean really. I burnt my bra, and now everyone is wearing them again. Come ON!!!

Simon said...

hi anonymous... Good one. :)

I mean really. I burnt my bra, and now everyone is wearing them again. Come ON!!!

First of all I have to say that everyone who reads my blog knows that I LOVE the boomers...and practically worship their music. In fact I was thinking of running the great Santana song from Woodstock, Soul Sacrifice, but I thought it might be misconstrued ;)
But yeah good question...although we are not voting for the Cons... ahem...we are very passive. And we definitely need to stop pounding the keyboards so much and start pounding the pavement.
But it would be even better if you guys were there too. Because if you golden oldies were there with your boom boxes I'd follow you ANYWHERE...