Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Candidate Calls for Gays to be Executed

Well I see a candidate in Sudbury has caused a bit of a flap by calling for gays to be executed.

Police are investigating whether an independent federal candidate committed a hate crime by telling high school students homosexuals should be executed.

Oh good. That's nice to know. Sounds like a tough case. Although I was really happy to see that even if the kids kicked up a fuss....the Principal took it all in stride.

"We're here today to hear what the candidates have to say," he said in an interview. "As an inclusive school, we respect all other opinion although we may not agree with them — and I know there were definitely some things said today that we don't agree with."

And still hasn't decided whether he would welcome Popescu back.

As for the wingnut homophobe I'm just glad he was upfront with his motives.

"A young man asked me what I think of homosexual marriages and I said I think homosexuals should be executed," he said. "My whole reason for running is the Bible and the Bible couldn't be more clear on that point."

Because religious fanatics aren't usually that honest.

Call him what you will....but he's no mama's boy.

In 2003, Popescu was found guilty of assaulting his mother and his sentence included three years of probation where he’s can't visit her alone.

Because family values are important. Eh? And at least now we know what's going to happen to gays and women when Harper and his theocons win a majority.

And why they hate the Human Rights Commissions so much.

Which reminds me how happy I was to read this morning that Canadians ARE worried about a Harper majority.

Even if they're not prepared to do anything about it.

More than half of Canadian voters say they're worried about the thought of giving Stephen Harper a majority government, but most wouldn't change their vote to prevent it.

Lazy....stoopid..... or what? Oh boy. That's a tough one. I give up.

Although I think I'm beginning to realize something. There's a reason Canada didn't own the 20th century.

And as for this one?

Don't hold your breath....

7 comments:

Pal Hal Pall said...

You're right; it's a good thing this guy was so honest. This is why I think we should encourage all candidates to be honest, and why I cannot stand how whenever someone opens their mouth and says something slightly controversial, everyone calls for his or her resignation. Let them speak! How else are we to know what people really stand for? By calling for resignations and apologies, we are encouraging our politicians to be secretive about what they really believe, and this is why the Conservatives can get away with having a hidden agenda.

The Mound of Sound said...

Popescu? With a name like that, don't even ask what he's got in mind for gypsies.

Scott Neigh said...

As I just wrote, I think the response by the school system to someone saying, essentially, that he wants to execute large numbers of their students has been pretty reprehensible...

Simon said...

Hi noamzs...if only politicians were honest. If only religion was about love...as it's supposed to be.The problem with the Conservatives is that they are muzzled by their leader so we have no idea what they stand for. And won't until it's too late...

Simon said...

Hi Mound !! yeah I was going to have a little fun with his name...but I thought it best not too.:) Although honestly where DID that guy come from?
My only consolation? His mom probably hates him more than I do..

Simon said...

Hi Scott !! Nice post. And you're right to ask what the gay kids in the audience thought about that. The Principal really let them down. And to even consider inviting that hatemonger back is simply outrageous.
What I did like though was the way the kids reacted. Good for them. Kids teaching adults how to behave in the face of intolerance.
I love it...

Omar said...

Ah the Book of Romans, Christianity's 'Final Solution' document. Not on board with the rules? Prepare for thy death! Lovely isn't it?