Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lady Gaga and the Gay Anthem














When Lady Gaga's latest single Born this Way was released it was billed as a new gay anthem.

And I was quite excited eh?

Because "Over the Rainbow," By Saint Judy Garland of the Homosexuals, is getting a bit dated. And Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" has always made me feel like killing myself.

But sadly it isn't our new anthem. Lady Gaga said she wrote it in ten minutes. And it shows.

In fact, some gay people really HATE it.

That noise you hear? It isn't nearby construction or birds cawwing. Its not the rumbling of a train or even the low roar of the ocean. It's not an American Eagle-clad youth screaming "Whoo!" in your ear at a megadisco.

That noise is one million gay men simultaneously vomiting up the kool-aid of arbitrarily prescribed cultural icons. And I don't know why it took so long.


I do believe in culture as politics. But Lady Gaga is not culture.

But what does that gay snoot think it is? Opera? Why shouldn't gay people love an artist who supports their causes and includes them in her songs?

It's title and its spirit, are drawn from the first openly gay song ever recorded.

"I'm walking through life in nature's disguise/ You laugh at me and you criticise/ Just because I'm happy, I'm carefree and I'm gay/ Yes I'm gay/ Tain't a fault tis a fact/ I was born this way."

And you can't argue with success.

So why is this happening? Oh probably because there are a lot of young people out there who are tired of being bullied, called too fat or too skinny, or too shy or too gentle, or too black, or too ugly, or too gay, or whatever.

And are enjoying the chance to shout out : I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!!!

And that's good enough for me.  

Besides, I play it when I walk the dog, and he LOVES dancing down the street with me.

Look, I wish our gay anthem was more like "Street Fighting Man" or "Rock the Casbah" by the Clash, or "Rebellion" by Arcade Fire.  

But while I wait for it, snoots please get a life...or stick to opera eh? 

Down with the bullies. We wuz born this way. 

Viva Lady Gaga...



Recommend this post at Progressive Bloggers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this nice post 111213

magdaayuk said...

lol Yes, it definitely shows that she wrote it in 10 minutes. The message is great, but I hate the song:P It sounds like a Madonna imitation which kind of went wrong. But I'm sure if I listen to it a few more times, it'll get stuck in my mind;)

prin said...

I tend to agree with the haters... She may very well bring attention to equality, but imo, she's doing it purely for her own gain. *shrugs* And you don't want her to be your representative when the backlash starts...

Simon said...

hi anonymous... you're welcome. I'm not a Gaga guy as I explained in the post. But she's quite a star, and a very good friend of the LGBT community. So when I saw she was being bashed, I had to do something. And when I saw that her Grammy performance had been released on YouTube I couldn't resist... ;)

Simon said...

hi Retromus-ik...yes I'm afraid the lyrics are debile as we say in French. And there is a bit of a controversy over whether she ripped of the Madonna song Express Yourself. But I have to admit when I hear that thumpa thumpa the gay in me can't resist, and I MUST dance. I listened to it while I vacuumed today, and the house has never looked so sparkling. So be careful, if you listen to it a few more times, you might get hooked too... :)

Simon said...

hi prin...How can you say that? What do you have against her pointy shoulders ? ;)
Seriously though she's just a pop star, and all artists are in it for themselves. And gay people have never had a big artist speak up for them, so I understand how the kids feel. I was also struck by how, despite her mega status, she remains so insecure. A young woman full of Catholic angst hiding behind her wild costumes. I think a lot of kids pick up on that, and it helps explain her popularity...

repertoiregaimontreal said...

Great video... Thank you for sharing with us...

http://www.repertoiregaimontreal.com