Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Quebec Charter and the Religion that Kills



I think I can safely say that in the icy heart of this Harperland winter, just about the last thing I want to think about, talk about, or write about is the Quebec's Secular Charter.

I've written about it before, and no doubt I'll write about it again. But not tonight.

Tonight I'll just say I think it's unnecessary, divisive, and will stir up the bigots in this country like hitting a hornet's nest with a stick does to the flying hordes inside it.

And although I'm an atheist, and a devoted secularist, I hate bullies of any stripe.

And this video sums up exactly how I feel...




It's a solution in search of a problem, and the last thing we need.

On the other hand, neither do I feel like defending the rights of the religious. Not tonight.

Not when thanks to religious bigotry gay people are being rounded up in Nigeria.

Homosexual sex is illegal in Nigeria, where in some states ruled by Islamic law gay people can be legally stoned to death. Still, the government in recent weeks has decided to crack down on gay Nigerians both harshly and in secret, arresting dozens of suspected gay men in the country’s north and signing into law a sweeping measure that punishes gay marriage and even the formation of gay associations or clubs with as many as 14 years in prison.

And not when I heard today that Roger Jean-Claude Mbede had died.



A gay man in Cameroon who was jailed for sending a text message to another man saying "I'm very much in love with you", and who was later declared a prisoner of conscience by Amnesty International, has died, according to a lawyer who worked on his case. 

Roger Jean-Claude Mbede, 34, died on Friday roughly one month after his family removed him from the hospital where he had been seeking treatment for a hernia, Alice Nkom said. "His family said he was a curse for them and that we should let him die," she said.

One more victim of the religious bigots who infest this earth, from Africa, to America, to Russia and all points in between.

So needless to say, I quite enjoyed this video of the ghastly anti-gay bigots from the Westboro Baptist Church, who were picketing the Golden Globes the other day.

Being given a taste of their own medicine...



I wouldn't normally derive any kind of satisfaction from a video like that one. But today it seems just fine.

Respect the rights of the religious. Show them that we are better than them.

But always fight back, never forget people like Roger Jean-Claude Mebede who was murdered for tweeting this:

"I'm very much in love with you."

Never forgive the hatred that kills.

And what ugly religion is doing to this world...

Please vote here to recommend this post at Progressive Bloggers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember, Simon: Science can fly us to the moon . . . religion can fly us into the sides of a building.

Simon said...

hi anon...I usually don't go after religion itself. For one thing I know some very sweet religious people. I myself have used religion to console the dying, because I always put people first. But when you look around the world and see what incredible violence it is causing, starting with the Sunni-Shia war, and how its bigotry is hurting so many people, I'm really wondering whether I should be speaking out more. Stop in the name of your false gods, and start acting like humans...